Saturday, February 28, 2009

In the city with a ton of other people. I came on Thursday to get away from site and get a nice long break. I needed it. A lot of the conversations surrounding sites have to do with how much we love our sites, but also, there is a certain amount of time away needed. I can maybe last three weeks at site before I need to come to the city to unwind. Last night Meagan, Natalie, Bryan and I went to diplomats and had a ton of fun. Irish ex-pats, rastas, and a very gentlemanly Peace Corps boy who protected us. Oh, Bryan. Bryan is officially my chibwenzi to any sketchy Malawian men who approach me. And he is just damn good at being my chibwenzi. He was dancing with the men last night to turn them away from coming near us. What a guy.

The past three weeks have been relatively low-key. Classes are good. Teachers are still corrupt. No electricity. Still smell like campfire. I probably will for the rest of my life. Joe is introducing me to more and more people making it easier to be at site. Charles has made my life as my adorable lil boo who is constantly at my hip. He waits for me outside the school gate until school is over and all of the students know him and know who he’s waiting for. I scoop him up into my arms and take him home with me. I can’t handle it sometimes. Kennedy and I have gotten into a nice routine as well. I usually mark homework outside on my porch (in dire need of some Adirondack chairs, mama…project when you get here?). But the past two weeks Kennedy has been reading/playing/chatting alongside with me every single day. He comes over at three after lunch and stays until dark when the mosquitoes come out to scare us away or until Joe comes over and scares Kennedy away. It’s a nice routine and it hasn’t gotten old. He is like a little brother to me teaching me Chichewa, giving me exercise when he steals Lolo and threatens to throw her into a pack of cows, making me laugh with his Terminator impression, etc. He told me if I cut my hair, he’ll never speak to me again. Uh-oh.

Gave my Form One students a test last week. I am learning more and more that this class is more ESL teaching than anything. The other teachers sometimes teach in English and they usually just lecture and give notes. I go in there and I want question and answers, but they are completely clueless. Putting a decent sentence together takes days.

My Form Three boys are still incredible learners and hilarious. My Form Four class had a debate on abortion last week, which was very interesting. It turned into a conversation about using protection and contraception. A quote: “But Madam, is a candy as sweet with the wrapper on? And how can you know how to play a game without knowing all of the positions?” (similar to Omni-bambo, eh, Tim?)

Speaking of game, my football team is kicking a**. Nambuma boys are just doing so well. The game itself is a blast. A crowd of people run around the field the entire game singing and dancing and when a goal is scored, everyone runs into the field to shake their butts at the other team. Many of my older students (in their 20s) were drinking, but it wasn’t too bad. As soon as we get electricity, I’m organizing a variety show and a disco for my students. They are supposed to have activities planned by the school every weekend. They haven’t had activities since the school started 8 years ago.

A bunch of us are trying to plan on a trip to Mozambique in April after In-Service training. I can’t wait. The traveling part (hitching) will be a chore, but getting to see different parts of Malawi and the countries around us will just make me feel more on the map. I was telling someone the other day that I hardly ever feel like I’m in Africa until I talk to my family, friends, and Victalla (Chichewa-ized version of my boyfriend’s name). The novelty has worn off and the honeymoon stage of my culture shock has quickly disappeared. This is becoming a routine and a life I will have for 21 more months (can you believe it?), a job that I am constantly surprised at how much I enjoy it. I think I am loving the guidance counselor aspect of my job more than teaching. It is making me think about grad school (taking GREs next year in Lilongwe). What for? I don’t know. But I need to go to school for something I love. Let’s figure that out soon, yeah?

I am so lucky to be here and to be happy. I am always going to be grateful for that.

Happy Birthday, big sis.
Happy Birthday, Collin Begley.

<3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are fitting in so well. You give us all these names of people, but, you don't tell us who the people are. Their form of football seems to be "everyone join in and have fun". The Patriot's QB, Tom Brady got married to his model girlfriend.

Mrs. Cormier said...

Glad you have a place you can unwind. Also glad that you are finding a routine and are feeling happy. The pictures you've posted on facebook have given me comfort. You look MARRRvelous!!Love you bunches, Mum